side remarks on the shortcut discussion for INSERT/DELETE...

From: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:10:07 +0000
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
... I have some side questions/remarks concerning the shortcut discussion we had for INSERT/DELETE...

1) If we define shortcuts for INSERT/DELETE, I think it would seem awkward not to have a
similar shortcut also for CONSTRUCT, i.e.

 CONSTRUCT <Pattern>  = CONSTRUCT <Pattern> WHERE <Pattern>

agreed?

2)  Another thing... as an alternative to definintg the shortcut by the absence of a
WHERE clause (which, IIRC was critisised for being ambiguous) couldn't we just use
"*" like in SELECT, i.e. for instance

 INSERT * WHERE <Pattern> = INSERT <Pattern> WHERE <Pattern>
 CONSTRUCT * WHERE <Pattern> = CONSTRUCT <Pattern> WHERE <Pattern>

the main question arising if we go that direction is how to handle
complex patterns, but I think we could solve that, depending whether
in general that sounds like a potential path to go for the rest as well?

Axel