datasets in update (was: Re: Review of SPARQL 1.1 Protocol)

From: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:20:16 -0500
To: Luke Wilson-Mawer <luke.wilson-mawer@garlik.com>
Luke Wilson-Mawer wrote:

>    * If the INTO in the older update syntax of INSERT INTO <uri> {} is
>      replaced by the user of GRAPH in the new syntax of INSERT {GRAPH
>      <uri> {}}, does this mean that GRAPH is now taking the role of
>      specifying the dataset?  Does this matter, and should it be
>      included here?  Perhaps I've missed something in the dataset
>      conversation.

We're going to remove the parts of the protocol that deal with the
dataset for now,  but I believe that the dataset issue with Update is
still unresolved. (Paul, please correct me if you feel otherwise!)

I've brought this up a couple of times (first at the F2F2 and a bit on
the mailing list since at

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009OctDec/0503.html

and at

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009OctDec/0581.html

The gist of my suggestion is that I would like the ability in SPARQL
Update to have my update commands act on a subset of the graphs in a
Graph Store in the same manner that I can (via FROM and FROM NAMED) in
SPARQL Query.

The reasons I want to be able to do this are twofold:

1) My organization uses this capability in query all the time, and
SPARQL Update would be pretty much useless to us without this
capability. (We'd likely implement a non-standard version of SPARQL
Update that allowed us to do this.)

2) I think it's very odd (and therefore challenging to teach & learn) to
have two different graph/dataset models for SPARQL Query and SPARQL Update.

Lee