Re: Service Description Vocabulary

On Jan 15, 2010, at 4:08 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> HI Greg,
>
> I am a little bit bothered by the usage of the rdfs:member property
> in[1]. It is, syntactically, correct, of course. However, the intention
> of rdfs:member was more 'operational' for RDFS reasoning than real usage:
> ie, it is some sort of a helper property for containers.
>
> I think that, from a modeling point of view, using lists would be
> cleaner. But then again, we run into our own problems of having
> difficulties querying lists...:-(
>
> Sigh. I am not sure whether we should change that, but I though that
> airing my (slight) discomfort is worthwhile...

Yeah, I'm not happy with using rdfs:member, but wanted to demonstrate the sort of modeling that I'm after and start a discussion about it. It seems strange to have to create a new term simply because rdfs:member wasn't intended to be used directly (and the other container membership properties all make it difficult for querying). I think lists are a non-starter for the obvious querying issues.

.greg