Re: entailment review - part 2

On 12 Jan 2010, at 18:30, Birte Glimm wrote:

> Axel,
> I think we are getting closer (at least before you pointed it out, I
> didn't even see leaving SG undefined (having no SG) as a possibility).
> I still think though that the current entailment spec does not foresee
> that. We say in Section 1.3:
> "All entailment regimes specified here use the same definition of a
> scoping graph as given for simple entailment."
> Simple entailment defines SG as follows:
> "If DS is the dataset of a query, pattern solutions are therefore
> understood to be not from the active graph of DS itself, but from an
> RDF graph, called the scoping graph, which is graph-equivalent to the
> active graph of DS but shares no blank nodes with DS or with BGP."
> Thus, we say that there is (ALWAYS) a scoping graph and the scoping
> graph is graph-equivalent to AG.

ok, and I don't see a problem with this. I just meant to say that the extension mechanism would
allow that entailment regimes leave SG undefined for inconsistent AG. So, let's look at this
condition by condition:

"1 -- The scoping graph, SG, corresponding to any consistent active graph AG is uniquely specified and is E-equivalent to AG."

is not a problem, because it only applies to consistent AG, so E-equivalence is not required for inconsistent AGs (i.e. simple equivalence,
as we define it now is a viable alternative to define SG
in that case, as much as leaving it undefined would be.) Agreed?

"2 -- For any basic graph pattern BGP and pattern solution mapping P, P(BGP) is well-formed for E."

is not a problem either, it doesn't refer to SG, Agreed?

"3 -- For any scoping graph SG and answer set {P1 ... Pn} for a basic graph pattern BGP, and where {BGP1 .... BGPn}
is a set of basic graph patterns all equivalent to BGP, none of which share any blank nodes with any other or with SG"

I understand "equivalent" hee as simple equivalence, i.e. not E-equivalence, so this condition isn't a problem either
in my opinion, since simple equivalence even works in case SG is E-inconsistent.

> If we do not change that, we do violate the conditions.

see above.

> If we change
> that to say that SG is graph-equivalent to AG only if AG is consistent
> and SG is undefined otherwise, then we can say that the conditions on
> BGP matching extensions do not apply in the case of an inconsistency.

that would be just an alternative, but actually, I am happy with the current
alternative as well.

> Such a change would, however, also mean that we have to say precisely
> what happens if there is no SG. For example C1 cannot be used to limit
> the answers as it is currently.
>
> How about saying in the ed note:
> "The behavior for inconsistent active graphs is not specified by the
> conditions on extensions of BGP matching. A consequence of defining SG
> to always be graph equivalent to AG (link to Sec 1.3) without
> requiring a consistency check in the RDFS entailment regime means,
> however, that in the case of an inconsistency, not all conditions on
> extensions of basic graph pattern matching are satisfied. For example,
> the first condition
>
>  The scoping graph, SG, corresponding to any consistent active graph
> AG is uniquely specified and is E-equivalent to AG.
>
> explicitly mentions that if the scoping graph is defined, then it must
> be E-equivalent (RDFS equivalent in this case) to any consistent AG.

Reflecting what I wrote above, I would suggest to add here:
"The condition does not apply for inconsistent AGs.
The current understanding of the WG is that this condition does thus not
restrict on how we define SG in case of an E-inconsistent AG and at
current we just define SG the same way as for consistent graphs."

> One

and here add: "alternative"

> way around this would be to define SG only if AG is consistent. If
> AG is inconsistent, one then has to specify conditions independent of
> SG that prevent infinite answers (an inconsistent graph trivially RDFS
> entails any RDF triple). Another possibility would be to specify an
> entailment regime for a subset of RDFS that cannot express
> inconsistencies, e.g., by defining well-formed graphs for the regime
> as those that contain only syntactically valid rdf XML literals.
> Several other alternatives, including different,
> implementation-dependent behaviors for systems that do/do not check
> consistency are currently being under discussion in the working
> group."

Does that work for you?

> Sorry for being so picky with this, but I think it is quite essential
> to get that right and I find the current discussion very useful.

No problem at all, as long as you also allow me an equivalent level of pickiness. :-)

Axel