Re: entailment review - part 2

Concerning today's resolution, I suggest the following rewording in the Editor's note:

"A consequence of not requiring a consistency check is that in the case of an inconsistency, not all conditions on extensions of basic graph pattern matching are satisfied. For example, the first condition

The scoping graph, SG, corresponding to any consistent active graph AG is uniquely specified and is E-equivalent to AG.
explicitly mentions that the scoping graph must be E-equivalent (RDFS equivalent in this case) to the active graph and that AG must be consistent. Clearly that is not possible if the active graph is inconsistent. One way around this would be to specify an entailment regimes for a subset of RDFS that cannot express inconsistencies, e.g., be defining well-formed graphs for the regime as those that contain only syntactically valid rdf XML literals."

--->

"A consequence of not requiring a consistency check is that in the case of an inconsistency, not all conditions on extensions of basic graph pattern matching apply. For example, the first condition

The scoping graph, SG, corresponding to any consistent active graph AG is uniquely specified and is E-equivalent to AG.

explicitly mentions that the scoping graph must be E-equivalent (RDFS equivalent in this case) to any consistent AG. The behavior for inconsistent active graphs is unspecified. One way around this would be to specify an entailment regimes for a subset of RDFS that cannot express inconsistencies, e.g., be defining well-formed graphs for the regime as those that contain only syntactically valid rdf XML literals. Several other alternatives, including different, implementation-dependent behaviors for systems that do/do not check consistency are currently being under discussion in the working group."

best,
Axel