Property Path Profiles

From: Matt Perry <matthew.perry@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:25:31 -0500
To: W3C SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Hi,

During the last TC, I mentioned the possibility of a Property Paths
profile that identifies a subset of property path queries that can be
expressed with SQL. Such a profile would make it easy for triple stores
implemented on top of relational databases to identify the set of
property path queries that they "natively" support.  The purpose of this
email is to start a discussion about the possibility of property path
profiles.

The grammars below show two possible fragments that we have identified.
The first grammar is for SQL + CONNECT BY (Oracle) and the second is for
PLAIN SQL.

CONNECT BY:

ALT  -> URI | URI|ALT
SEQ  -> URI | URI/SEQ
Elem -> URI | SEQ   | ALT   | ^URI
COMP -> URI | Elem* | Elem+ | Elem{n,m} | Elem?
TOP  -> URI | COMP  | ALT   | SEQ       | ^URI

PLAIN SQL:

ALT  -> URI | URI|ALT
SEQ  -> URI | URI/SEQ
Elem -> URI | SEQ       | ALT   | ^URI
COMP -> URI | Elem{n,m} | Elem?
TOP  -> URI | COMP      | ALT   | SEQ   | ^URI

Thanks,
Matt