Re: Review of "SPARQL 1.1 Update"

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:57:18 +0000
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
CC: Paul Gearon <gearon@ieee.org>, SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On 11/01/2010 11:20 AM, Steve Harris wrote:

>>> Seems good to me.

>>> I think I'd find the overloaded form much easier to remember. There's no
>>> particular reason why REMOVE is not allowed to take a WHERE, but
>>> DELETE is.
>>>
>>> It's especially arbitrary around the DELETE WHERE { } syntactic shortcut
>>> as opposed to REMOVE { }.
>>>
>>> - Steve
>>
>> I think that introducing ";" for all operations because this one short
>> form needs it is not balanced so I'm keen to find a way to avoid that
>> necessity.
>
> Ah, I was thinking that the last ; would be optional, like . and triples.
>
> - Steve

I was assuming that also.  It's that every (multi-operation) sequence
now needs to have ";"s when the syntax issue is confined to the
abbreviated short form of DELETE that strikes me as not ideal.

I also think that multiple operations in one request will not be
uncommon.  Basic data loading might be commonly one operation although
surely much of the need for SPARQL Update Language is for those
operations not done by the HTTP update style.  It will include things
like ensuring graphs exist before other operations happen.