W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-dawg@w3.org > January to March 2010

Re: Review of Update 1.1

From: Paul Gearon <gearon@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:17:52 -0500
Message-ID: <a25ac1f1001071417p2188eaefn5075e51c7c05e42@mail.gmail.com>
To: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org> wrote:
> Find attached my review for Update 1.1. No major objections here either for publication, except making status clearer maybe by adding
> some editor's notes.

Notes included here:

> Detailed Comments:
>
> * Section 5.1.3:
>
> the modify_template grammar misses something in the production for graph_template, that is VarOrIRIref is missing after GRAPH. For publication, that should at least be fixed and at least an todo/editor's note should be added that all the grammar productions or grammar snippets should be formatted the same.

I was just thinking about this the last time I was editing the
document. It would be nice to point out that this is something that
should evaluate to a graph URI, but I suppose that's irrelevant from
the perspective of syntax.

> Concretely (not critical to do this all now, as long as the note is added), I suggest to just reuse the productions from the Query grammar, i.e.

I started with what I got from Simon, but I've been following his lead
on trying to make it look more readable in the document. The main
change I've made has been to give a <strong> format to literal text
(as opposed to using quotes).

The Query document copies rules directly out of the grammar in large
blocks. I suppose we should be doing that for consistency, but we
don't have the grammar to copy just yet.

> a) replace:
>
>  modify_template :: = template | graph_template
>
>  graph_template ::= GRAPH { template }
>
> with:
>
>  modify_template :: = ConstructTriples | graph_template
>
>  graph_template ::= 'GRAPH' VarOrIRIref '{' ConstructTriples '}'
>
> b) replace anywhere in grammars in the document:
>
> WHERE { pattern }
>
> with
>
> WHERE GroupGraphPattern
>
> triples
>
> with
>
> TriplesBlock
>
> ?
>
> c) Also I suggest the keywords should be single quoted in syntax definitions that are supposed to be gramamr snippets, i.e. in the blocks of

I'll stick with bold for the moment, simply because we'll probably
replace them with sections of the grammar, complete with production
numbers.

I'll make the other changes though.

> * Section 4.2:
>
> I am unsure to be honest what we shall do for the ISSUES here... some are closed, but actually some recent mails [1,2] indicate that they should be left open, e.g. ISSUE-21...
>
> 1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009OctDec/0628.html
>
> 2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009OctDec/0674.html
>
> If time, I would like to go through the issues mentioned in these mails in the next TelCo to decide what is really to be closed and what noe.

I get the impression that there are a number of issues that are marked
as "open" that should have already been changed to "closed".

> * Finally, Appendix B should at least have an editor's note/todo that it doesn't yet reflect the new syntax in Section 5.1.3 before publication.

Already done.

Regards,
Paul Gearon
Received on Thursday, 7 January 2010 22:18:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 16:15:41 GMT