Re: SPARQL Query 1.1 review comments

Andy Seaborne wrote:

>> One more question: Are we always requiring an alias for an expression?
>> That is, would SELECT SUM(?lprice) ... (i.e., without the alias
>> ?totalPrice) be allowed?
>
> Not formally decided (I couldn't find a resolution anyway) but there is
> a body of support for requiring the alias name.  If sent over HTP with
> the results format, a name is required.  Just for query, a processor can
> easily generate one at parse time so there is no requirement for it.

This is correct. We don't have a formal resolution here. We did discuss
it in our November 17 teleconference
(http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2009-11-17) which showed a clear
preference (but not unanimity) for requiring aliases.

My suggestion is that this be taken as advice to the editors, rather
than seeking a formal resolution (unless there are group members who
request a formal issue be made of it in response to whatever action the
query editors take).

Lee