Re: [TF-LIB] first text for new library built-in functions

On 03/06/2010 5:17 PM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> On 6/3/2010 8:47 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> I've added some text for the new SPARQL 1.1 library functions:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#func-coalesce
>>
>> The text is not finished; for example, the functions aren't yet in the
>> functions/operator table, and the details need to be checked.
>>
>> The styling of all the functions seems to not working as it did for the
>> SPARQL 1.0 doc.
>>
>> COALESCE, IF, IN, NOT IN, IRI, URI, BNODE, STRDT, STRLANG
>>
>> Any I have forgotten or any new ones that people wish to propose?
>
> I thought we had discussed explicitly importing more XPath F&O
> functions, right? Things like string concatenation and some math
> operations?
>
> I'm wary of polluting the language with too many unnecessary keywords,
> but it would be good to make clear that implementations ought to share
> URIs for these common functions.

Lee,

We have indeed discussed importing more F&O functions.  Last I can find
for that is:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009JulSep/0244.html

and Axel proposed:

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:FunctionLibrary#Starting_Points

I thought we resolved to use F&O, not the other possible starting points
but I can't find the actual resolution on that.

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/track/actions/97

This is a different strand: these are the keywords that we have agreed
(or so I thought) and are in the grammar.  None overlap with F&O
functions [*].

[[
Revision 1.37  2010/03/30 08:29:52  aseaborne
Add placeholders for SPARQL 1.1 extra functions
]]

Some are fundamental (constructing terms: IRI, URI, STRDT, STRLANG,
BNODE), some are not just evaluations (COALESCE, IF), and some rely on
SPARQL operations and have specific syntax in the grammar (IN and NOT
rely on SPARQL && = and || != respectively)

I believe I am following:

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:FunctionLibrary#SPARQL_specific
   and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2010JanMar/0374.html
   and other discussions.

It would be good if someone would progress defining a function library.

	Andy

[*] except arguable STRDT but you can write STRDT(?lex, ?dt) whereas you
have to write a concrete URI to do the casting form:

xsd:integer("123")