[TF-PP] IRI and base URIs

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:45:39 +0100
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
While we're in and around the subject of base URIs:

The IRI function takes a string and produces an IRI: I propose that we
define it only for valid, absolute IRIs, and anything else is an error.

Creating relative IRIs is plain bad, albeit occasionally necessary.

Errors in SPARQL can be replaced in an implementation by doing something
but it indicates the something outside the spec.

IRI("foo")
IRI("http://example/a space")
IRI("http://example/[]")
IRI("http://192.168.1.999/a")

The string is not automatically %-encoded - if that's needed, then call
another function to perform the operation.

	Andy