Re: Negation decision : unexpected effects

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:14:20 +0100
To: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>

On 12/04/2010 2:09 PM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> We're chartered to include dedicated constructs for expressing negation
> -- not specifically to handle the same cases handled by OPTIONAL/!bound.
> I'm not motivated to provide a shortcut for cases that can be handled by
> OPTIONAL/!bound yet for which there's no evidence of usefulness.
> ...especially not at what I consider the cost of reasonable language
> design.
>
> Lee

Not exactly the same cases, I agree, but OPTIONAL/!BOUND is mentioned
specifically in the charter, and in F&R under "motivations" and so I
think it's a reasonable target usecase.

I'm not willing to say that specific usages are or are not used because
it is so widely implemented.  You can do set interestion with
OPTIONAL/!BOUND.

The phase I charter talks about multiple, interoperable implementations.

	Andy