Re: Negation decision : unexpected effects

On 2010-04-02, at 22:05, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> The FILTER could be artificially forced using a extra {}
>
> { { ?s rdf:type :T
>    FILTER NOT EXISTS { ?s :p ?v . }
>   }
>    ?s :q ?v
> }
>
> This is unnecessary - the more direct syntax is closer to the OPTIONAL/!BOUND idiom that I think it the important thing to make easier.

!BOUND can only be used inside a FILTER as well (though OPTIONAL is not mobile) and users must be used to this, so I'm not sure this is a significant problem.

The main reason I thought the compromise that was found at F2F3 was good was that it made it clear that NOT EXISTS was executed per solution, like a FILTER, and not as an algebraic operator.

Steve Harris, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/