Re: [TF-LIB] COALESCE is an unhelpful choice of name

From: Paul Gearon <gearon@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:05:43 -0500
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2009, at 13:01, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>> I don't find the name COALESCE very helpful.
>>
>> None of these seem good but they are better to me:
>>
>> VAL
>> VALUE
>> FIRST
>> FIRST_VAL
>> PROTECT
>> SAFE
>
> None of these float my boat, but out of interest, what's the source of your
> dislike for COALESCE? I find it pretty obvious, but then I've been using SQL
> for too long.

Personally, I'd never heard of this function, and it's been completely
opaque to me. I've come back to it a few times now (each time after a
break of a couple of weeks) and every time I've had to look up some
documentation to remind myself of what it meant.

But then, I haven't used SQL much in recent years.

Regards,
Paul Gearon