Re: Views on the outcomes of F2F

Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 10/11/2009 20:18, Steve Harris wrote:
>  > We're explicitly not chartered to do assignment - if that makes sense -
>  > somewhat tortured English. We voted on a list of things to be in the
>  > charter, and assignment was on the list that didn't make it.
>> You could regard it as syntactic sugar for subselect + project
>> expressions, but that doesn't appear to be what Holger is after, and
>> it's a little sophisitic to argue that IMHO.
>
> We have now have had feedback that the assumption that SELECT expression
> syntax is not sufficient.  We can respond to comments.
>
> I believe Holger is asking for nothing more than syntactic sugar.
> Jeremy's syntactic conversion from LET to SELECT expressions shows what
> they want and it's a syntactic rewrite even SPARQL syntax to SPARQL syntax.

I couldn't follow the transformation. Can you explain it, please? I'm
trying to figure out if it matches what is implemented in Open Anzo or not.

> We know LET->SELECT and SELECT->LET as syntatic transforms.. There is no
> new functionality (it does not change the algebra at all); it's all in
> the syntax to algebra translation step, which is what I consider
> syntactic suger.
>
> I understand the comment as a request to make it easier to use by
> exposing the assignment part of AS without the project interactions -

Is this the "Extend" operator in the FPWD? I'm having trouble
understanding the definition (and, again, checking if this is consistent
with my implementation).

One of the things that I'm trying to evaluate in looking at
TopQuadrant's request is whether this is as simple as they and you
claim. Part of trying to evaluate that is seeing if the various
implementors really have implemented the same thing. Another part is
figuring out if different people have different expectations about what
LET would do. (Easy case, do people expect to be able to do LET ?y := ?y
+ 1 with any other effect besides returning no solutions.)

The Chairs do believe that this pretty clearly falls outside the scope
of our charter, but we're considering it nevertheless given the new
information.

Lee