Re: [TF-ENT] URIs for entailment regimes in service descriptions

Sandro,
one of the problems with just saying OWL is that reasoners that use
Direct semantics only work on a subset of RDF documents (those that
fall into the OWL DL syntactic fragment). Most will not even parse
non-OWL DL documents and OWL EL reasoners might not even parse OWL DL
documents.
Since these URLs are for the service descriptions, it is not the user
that specifies this. Any system that says it does RDFS entailment will
of course do RDF and simple entailment. If on the other hand a user
queries a system that says it does simple entailment, then you would
not get any answers that depend on RDF or RDFS entailment.
For Simple, RDF, RDFS, OWL RL, OWL RDF-Based, that all works quite
nicely because these regimes all take any RDF graph as input, but OWL
Direct semantics is only defined for a subset of RDF graphs, those
that correspond to OWL 2 DL ontologies.
Thus, OWL 2 DL reasoner will probably reject many non-OWL 2 DL
documents and OWL 2 EL and QL reasoners even further restrict the set
of supported ontologies. It is not so easy to just fall back to simple
or RDF(S) entailment in this case. One could not use URLs for the
profiles, but than an OWL EL/QL reasoner cannot communicate that it
only works on a subset of OWL 2 DL.
Birte

--
Dr. Birte Glimm, Room 306