Re: [TF-ENT] Querying datasets with default plus named graphs

Hi Birte,

no, I think we were talking about different things, but the extra text
you put into the document actually answers my questions. So there is no
reason to go into the details of your comments below...

Just for my understanding, based on your latest text (thanks for having
added it, b.t.w.!)... if I have

<A> standing for the graph
:p rdfs:range :AA

<B> standing for the graph
:p rdfs:domain :BB

<C> standing for the graph
:x :p :y

then the query:

SELECT ?g
FROM NAMED <A>
FROM NAMED <B>
FROM <C>
WHERE {
   GRAPH ?g { :y a ?type }
}

will return ?g-><A>, right? (b.t.w., I think the example on the wiki is
wrong, the first (negative) example should say :y a ?type, shouldn't it?)

A practical example may then be another type of request which is

SELECT ?type
FROM NAMED <A>
FROM NAMED <B>
FROM <C>
WHERE {
   GRAPH <A> { :y a ?type }
}

which, essentially, specifies a specific vocabulary for a portion of the
query, right? (It may be worth adding this example to the text, too, to
make the situation clearer.)

B.t.w. a practical consequence (if all this is true) is that the user
will have to specify explicitly all the vocabularies it uses in terms of
FROM or FROM NAMED clauses to get the right entailements. Which is an
unfortunate duplication of the @prefix clauses. Ie, one will have to write

@prefix dc: <URI-FOR-DC>
SELECT *
FROM <URI-FOR-DC>
WHERE {
   ... something that involves an RDFS entailement with dc:
}

My reference to the owl:import in my earlier mails is that this may
become easier when using owl, because one can prepare one RDF files that
says

<> owl:import <URI-FOR-DC> .
<> owl:import <URI-FOR-SOMETHING-ELSE>

and make a unique FROM in the query on that file; OWL entailement may
process the owl:import clauses before making the entailement. Somewhat
simpler for the users.

(Note that OWL 2 RL does not define owl:import as one of its accepted
terms, although OWL 2 Full does. I wonder whether this is not a simple
extension of OWL 2 RL that we should allow... Not sure...)

Cheers

Ivan