RE: INSERT/DELETE Update syntax

 [snip]

> >> INSERT {
> >>    GRAPH <uri1> { <x> <y> ?a }
> >>    GRAPH <uri2> { <a> <b> ?b }
> >> }
> >> WHERE {
> >>    ?a <foo> ?b
> >> }
> >
> > If ?a is a bnode, what happens? :-)
>
> An obvious option is the same rules as per CONSTRUCT. { ?a <foo> ?b }
> can only match triples from the default graph. I don't remember if
> SPARQL says that it's legal for bNodes to exist in more than one
> graph.

I don't think RDF says whether bNodes can exist across graphs.  It doesn't say anything across graphs.

> 4store typically treats the default graph as the union of the
> named graphs, but I've never been quite convinced that that is legal
> per the spec.

?? I thought we'd agreed it was.  Several systems do it.  And IIRC the spec was specifically worded to allow it, as well as when it's not a union.

I was wondering what your proposal was for the
"GRAPH <uri1> { <x> <y> ?a }" part.

> The slightly trickier case is:
>
> INSERT {
>     GRAPH <uri1> { <x> <y> ?a }
>     GRAPH <uri2> { <a> <b> ?b }
> }
> WHERE {
>     GRAPH <uri1> { ?a <foo> ?b }
> }
>
> > I suggest that both renaming bnode labels, and choosing not to, are
> > legal.
>
> Hm, I'm not sure about that. It depends whether INSERT is defined as a
> merge, or a union.

Don’t quite follow.  A graph is a set of triples.

> Are you proposing leaving it up to the query processor?

Whether it is the same bNode (label) in graph <uri1> and default graph?  Yes.

Useful if the bNode (label) is already in graph <uri1> because different INSERT or DELETE operations in the same request can update the same bNode resource.