Re: Versioning (again, sorry!)

Steve Harris wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2009, at 05:39, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>
>> Paul Gearon wrote:
>
> [snip, good description of the problem]
>
>> So that I understand whether we're in a position to re-open this topic
>> or not, is this a theoretical "they don't get it" or an actual "they
>> don't get it"?
>
> In Garlik at least, it's an actual problem. I think only Luke and I
> understand which versions of what part are 1.1, and which are 1.0.
>
> The next WG will presumably have some 1.0s, some 1.1s, some 1.2s and
> maybe some 2.0s. Nice.
>
>>> If I had to explain it to someone (and I often do) then personally I'd
>>> like to say, "SPARQL 1 had two parts. The first part lets me do
>>> queries, and the second part describes how to connect to a SPARQL
>>> server and talk to it. SPARQL 2 also has those parts, expanding
>>> significantly on the capabilities of each. It also has a third part
>>> that lets me update data in a database."
>>
>> Yeah, this is pretty much how i've been doing it, myself, without any
>> sort of confusion that I've noticed. (See slide 3 of
>> http://www.slideshare.net/LeeFeigenbaum/sparql2-status .)
>
> To me, that seems like it's adding to the confusion.

I agree, it's not a great situation.

I'm still hesitant to re-open the discussion, because while this is
important, it's not clear to me that there is really new information here.

I took a look back at the original resolution & discussion around it at
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2009-05-06#resolution_3 and it
doesn't really help refresh my recollection of who the biggest
supporters of the numbering scheme are, other than remembering we went
around the room and there was pretty clear consensus for numbering
/Query as 1.1. I don't recall if we had a particularly long discussion
about the fact that the new pieces would end up as /Foo 1.0.

Anyway, I'd like to hear if Steve and Paul's concerns are resonating
with other working group participants. We can slot it in for a few
minutes on the teleconference, since it's clear that Right Now is the
time to get this right (if there is such a thing as "right").

Lee