Re: [TF-ENT] Querying datasets with default plus named graphs

see below

2009/10/8 Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>:
> On 8 Oct 2009, at 11:34, Birte Glimm wrote:
>>
>>> It also raises an issue on the RIF side. RIF rules cannot be expressed in
>>> RDF. How would one add RIF rules to an entailement regime if we wanted to
>>> cover RIF? It might be a showstopper for that case:-(
>>
>> In my total RIF naivity, I would assume you can say:
>>
>> SELECT ?o FROM <http://example.org/myrules.rif> WHERE { :s :p ?o . }
>>
>> Here I assume that myrules.rif contains the rules and references
>> (imports) for the relevant RDF graphs. In the RIF OWL compatibility
>> doc it says:
>
> I think that would limit the answers to being from triples that are in the
> .rif file, which if it's not RDF would be nothing.

I though that would also load relevant (imported) RDF graphs, apply
the rules to the graph, and then find the answers, but as I said, I am
not really familar with RIF, so I might be wrong. Maybe some RIF
expert (Axel?) can clarify this.

> But, I would have thought you could tell the store to apply RIF to some
> graph(s) - just like you would apply OWL/RDFS/whatever, using an external
> mechanism. Then query over those graphs as you would for any other
> entailment regime.

But where do the RIF rules come from and how do you tell the store
that it should please apply a certain set of rules to a graph? In the
query? In the protocol?

> I may well be misunderstanding the problem though.

Same for me.
Birte

--
Dr. Birte Glimm, Room 306