GROUP BY expressions

From: Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:38:08 +0000
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
ISSUE-41
ACTION-93

Steve and I had a quick chat on IRC about GROUP BY and expressions.

The details to be sorted out but the general direction is allowing expressions in GROUP BY.

Example: (not fixed design):

  SELECT ?productId ?cost
  { . . .
  }
  GROUP BY ?productId (?num * ?price AS ?cost)
  HAVING (?cost > 10 )

which has a named expression for the grouping which is used in the HAVING.

The GROUP BY clause and the SELECT clause will have the same syntax for the variable and expression list and so depends on what we choose.

  Hewlett-Packard Limited
  Registered No: 690597 England