Re: service description vocabulary

Gregory Williams wrote:
> Beyond what's currently listed in the vocab section of the service
> description page[1], I think we need a way to describe the dataset
> provided by the endpoint. This goes beyond what things like voiD provide
> which is a way to describe a single graph. Therefore, I'd like to
> suggest something like this:
>
> <endpoint> sd:datasetDescription [
>     sd:defaultGraph <void-dataset-for-default-graph> ;
>     sd:namedGraph [
>         sd:graphName <graph-name> ;
>         sd:graphDescription <void-dataset-for-named-graph> ;
>     ] .
> ] .
>
> The lack of naming symmetry between sd:defaultGraph (for default graphs)
> and sd:graphDescription (for named graphs) could probably be made better
> (maybe sd:defaultGraphDescription?), but this modeling allows each graph
> in the dataset to be described as well as things to be said about the
> entire dataset.

I'm not sure this makes sense - the RDF dataset (default graph + named
graphs) is an artifact of a specific query, not of the endpoint itself.
An endpoint isn't required to have any notion of a default graph--I know
that mine, at least don't. (We've got a quad store from which graphs can
be plucked and either merged into a default graph for a query or
included as individual named graphs for a query.)

> Additionally, I was hoping to get feedback on whether people think the
> vocab should distinguish between language extensions and supported
> features? Is this a meaningful distinction? For example, an extension
> that modifies the SPARQL syntax (e.g. to support the BINDINGS keyword)
> versus a feature describing the algorithm used to generate DESCRIBE
> results. The former clearly extends SPARQL, but the latter works within
> the existing constraints of SPARQL. Thoughts?

I don't think we need to differentiate - I tend to think a single
mechanism for supported features combined with URIs for standard
features is sufficient, and will give the community sufficient room to
define URIs and extra parameters for extension features... But I haven't
thought it through too well.

Lee