Re: The syntax of the SELECT clause.

From: Paul Gearon <gearon@ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:31:44 -0400
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> Dimension of the designs include:
> * Does the term after AS include the ? or not.
> * Does the AS appear inside or outside any ().
> * Allowing optional commas. The examples below don't show that.

I like the idea of commas, both because it adds clarity for the user,
and because it matches better with SQL.

<snip/>
> ----
> Steve has proposed mandating commas in a SELECT form when an expression or AS is used.
>
> SELECT ?x ?y ?z
> SELECT ?x , ?y , count(?a) AS ?z

I'm comfortable with this as it keeps consistency with using commas
already. Of course, commas can't be mandated without breaking backward
compatibility, but I don't see a problem with new language features
forcing their use.

Regards,
Paul Gearon