Re: Exact format for XML Literals?

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> [...]

Canonical XML would require the attributes to be in an alphanumeric
order (ie, a="something" b="something else" q="and") and no extra space
between '<' and '/>'. Do you mean to say that the RDF/XML code above is
not legal XML Literal?

> The definition of XMLLiteral makes no mention of transformation.  It simply defines the lexical space.  It's just an illegal XMLLiteral otherwise, much like "foo"^^xsd:decimal.
>
>> Note that this is _not_ the case as if we replaced the two literals
>> with, say, 1.0 and 1.00 declaring both to be floats.
>
> A SPARQL processor may or may not equate "1.0"^^xsd:float and "1.00"^^xsd:float as floats in a graph pattern.  They are "=" in a FILTER.  The design does not require xsd:float understanding in the triple pattern matching; it allows a system to canonicalize on input or not, it allows comparison to be value sensitive or not if the graph is not holding canonical lexical forms (see the BGP extension section).
>
>> The way XML Literal
>> is currently defined is such that the lexical form (not the value
>> space!) is the canonical XML version.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Ie, by referring to the fact that
>> the comparison of literal should be done in the value space does not
>> cover the XML Literal case.
>
> No - the defn of XML literal says the lexical space is canonicalized XML but it does not say it must be transformed in any way.  The parsing of RDF/XML is not relevant unless the characters come from an RDF/XML document where the namespaces etc need to pushed down for consistency.
>
> The example is an illegal XML literal in the same way "foo"^^xsd:decimal or "<b>"^^rdf:XMLLiteral is illegal - the string part is not in the lexical space.  It's outside the definition of the datatype (and a graph containing it is inconsistent) - the processor might do something about that but it's fixing up an error, not required to by spec.
>

> Coming back to my original question - why isn’t the XML literal supplied in canonical form if it's from RDFa?

As I said in my other mail: the question that came up in relation to
RDFa is how the SPARQL based test cases should be properly formulated.
That is how we got to this issue...

Ivan