Re: Discovering service descriptions

On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:26 AM, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> there is no reason that the content returned by OPTIONS should not
> also
> be accessible by GET elsewhere; the HTTP header Content-Location would
> help here. In this way, OPTIONS on the service endpoint would be a
> clear
> machine-oriented way of discovering service descriptions; for
> human-oriented ways, a link from the endpoint's documentation or query
> form (with conneg for HTML) or whatever should be good.
>
> What do you think?

In addition to previously mentioned issues with OPTIONS (non-
cachability), I'm hesitant to go with anything that suggests two
different paths to get at a service description. If we're going to
suggest that the service description be available via GET (I'm hoping
via conneg), then *also* going with OPTIONS seems like an uphill
battle, trying to drag public use of OPTIONS along with our desire to
get widespread service descriptions.

.greg