Re: Options on SPARQL endpoint descriptions...

On Aug 12, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> Greg Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:01:00PM +0100, Axel Polleres said:
>>> If we rule out Option 5 entirely, we have no defined way of
>>> querying the service description directly over the very SPARQL
>>> endpoint, do we want that? I feel somehow this could be useful,
>>> but don't really have a strong opinion about it either. We could
>>> recommend some variant of Option 5 on top of one of the others
>>> informally and simply not enforce everybody to support it?
>> Doesn't option 7 (conneg) give you this for free? By using the
>> service
>> URI in a FROM clause, the service description RDF could be pulled
>> in by
>> the endpoint (assuming it didn't keep it loaded) and be queried.
>
> Only for stores that dereference HTTP URIs that are part of a
> query's dataset. Some don't (or aren't always configured to),
> instead treating graph URIs simply as identifiers within a quad store.

Is it unreasonable to hope that if we went with conneg, stores that
*didn't* dereference HTTP URIs but *did* provide a service description
might keep the service description in the quad store? Also, I support
Steve's point that the service description could indicate whether (and
how/where) a description could be queried.

.greg