Re: Discovering service descriptions

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:00:09 -0400
To: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@ccf.org>
Cc: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Chimezie Ogbuji<ogbujic@ccf.org> wrote:
> I think allocating a URI to the endpoint and using it for things such as
> discovery (even within a query) is a good practice even in an API
> environment.  It also *feels* very intuitiv

+1.

Especially since the endpoint URI is often -- at least in my
experience -- the only thing I know about. So having some standard
operation to perform with the endpoint URI as a parameter, the result
of which returns a service description in RDF (or OWL) is the most
appealing option for my organization.

As for which operation (protocol level, query level), we tend to
indifference. However, we mildly prefer:

1. DESCRIBE <serviceURI> in QL -- Lee's Option 4, IIRC (this one is
especially nice since, in REST style, the representation returned by
this query can just *point* to the service description via some
specified predicate, rather than itself *being* the service
description, in case existing services are already doing something
different.)

2. GET /service-uri for protocol, which is a variant of Lee's Option
1, but w/out the link header. As I recall, GET /service-uri is
available and the STTCPW.

Cheers,
Kendall