Re: Discovering service descriptions

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:16:07 +0100
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
On 11 Aug 2009, at 07:08, Gregory Williams wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2009, at 2:01 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> On 11 Aug 2009, at 06:03, Gregory Williams wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still worried about HTTP OPTIONS not having a lot of support
>>> in some client libraries. It also (I believe) make it difficult to
>>> get at a service description with a web browser for visual
>>> inspection. Do any browsers provide a way to make OPTIONS requests
>>> (I know curl allows this)?
>>
>> Certainly Firefox and Safari do. I don't have any others to test
>> on, but a quick google suggests that IE and Chrome support it too.
>> See http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
>
> Hmmm... I was hoping for something that didn't involve javascript
> (hence "visual inspection"). I'd like to be able to glance over
> what's in a service description without having to resort to
> programming. I suppose the conneg option might help here, but in
> general I suspect conneg for html would return just a query form,
> not an html-formatted version of the service description.

Agreed that's not ideal. I don't /think/ you can conneg to another
verb though.

If it's purely for human consumption there could be a recommendation
in the spec the what is at the top level of the endpoint includes a
link to a human readable description. Seems like a bit of a heavy
requirement though.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD