Re: Minutes of yesterday's meeting

As mentioned in the minutes I had mentioned last week that in trying to
work through the details of MINUS and UNSAID I wonder if one way to get
ourselves unstuck is to look at and document some use cases. We do already
have NOT EXISTS in SQL (and XQuery) and these are well known and used
today so one might ask what they are used for, what queries require these
capabilities? For example we might be able to come up with a set of simple
queries, expressed in natural language, that we can then evaluate the two
proposals against.

For example, "find me all records where no due date has been set" seems to
map well to UNSAID, but seems more clumsy when expressed with MINUS - or
rather the natural expression seems harder to read in the resulting
SPARQL.

Thanks,

Simon K. Johnston (skjohn@us.ibm.com) - STSM, Jazz Foundation Services
Mobile: +1 (919) 200-9973
Office: +1 (919) 595-0786 (tie-line: 268-6838)
Blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/johnston