Re: [JavaScriptFunctions] any WG implementations / advocacy?

From: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:45:29 -0400
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On Mar 25, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> I think this is pretty cool, myself, but it also seems very new, a
> very high burden for implementors, and potentially fraught with
> security concerns that I haven't thought of yet.
>
> I'd like to know if there are any other implementations of this
> feature (which, to generalize a bit, I'd call a mechanism for
> interoperably resolving unknown SPARQL functions) and also if there
> are any Working Group members who care to advocate in favor of the
> group producing a specification for this feature.

I did one of the first implementations of this and presented it at the
scripting for semantic web workshop in 2007[1]. The code may have
suffered from bit rot at this point (getting the JS interpreter
installed and linked to my code was non-trivial and maintaining it
took a back seat to other issues). I still really like the idea, but
agree with most of what's already been said regarding it being well
beyond a 1.1 feature and difficult to spec properly.

.greg

[1] http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-248/paper7.pdf