Re: Naming - old and new SPARQL

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:55:22 +0000
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
On 26 Mar 2009, at 09:56, Orri Erling wrote:

> Hi
>
> This would be a matter of perception.
>
> The fact is, as a regular web developer would see it, that if the WG
> ,manages to agree on update, aggregates, expressions, grouping and
> nesting,
> then it becomes, for the first time, possible to write what one
> would call a
> regular database driven application without relying on vendor specific
> extensions.
>
> On its own merits, this would warrant a major version number.  But
> if one
> does give it a new major number, one offhand acknowledges that the
> previous
> spec was somehow insufficient.  Hence it seems that the threshold for
> issuing new major numbers is very high.

Some members of the WG, including Garlik, are keen to put the UPDATE
stuff into a different Rec, that's not called SPARQL.

Given the timescale and charter I can't see us making any radical
changes to SPARQL itself.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD