Re: On Parameters

From: Simon Schenk <sschenk@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:38:07 +0100
Cc: 'SPARQL Working Group' <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

> In all SQL CLI's (call level interface) this is a given.   Also, most
> CLI's have array  parameters, i.e. passing  multiple sets of parameter
> bindings in a single client-server message.  The array parameter
> question can be addressed in the  conntext of the SPARQL protocol by
> the HTTP 1.1 pipelining

Apart from query optimization I see an interesting application for
arrays in federation.

Eric proposed something similar for this purpose [1]. Without it,
distributed joins either need a large number of separate queries
(resulting in high latency), or you need to mimic [1] by rewriting the
query with lots of FILTERs or UNIONs as proposed in [2], which is a
rather hacky solution.

Cheers,
Simon

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/05/SPARQLfed/
[2] Zemanek, Jan, Schenk, Simon, and Svatek, Vojtech. Optimizing SPARQL
Queries over Disparate RDF Data Sources through Distributed Semi-Joins.
ISWC 2008 Poster and Demo Session Proceedings. CEUR-WS. 2008.

--
Simon Schenk | ISWeb | Uni Koblenz-Landau
http://isweb.uni-koblenz.de