Re: [sub-select] Some examples and discussion

Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> On 3/12/09 9:14 AM, "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com> wrote:
>> As for implementation, putting subs-selects was not hard when I added the
>> functionality in ARQ and I didn't have an existing DB engine to pull existing
>> features from.  I don't think it was luck that other designs decisions had set
>> things up, more it was a natural step.  Other opinions may differ.
>> What is hard, as had been pointed out, is optimization, but that is not to be
>> specified.
>
> I don't think I agree that optimization and implementation effort (which is
> a direct consequence of the complexity introduced by more expressive query
> forms such as sub-selects) should *not* be a factor.  In fact, it is mostly
> my concern in this regard that motivates me to suggest that we consider a
> spectrum of sub-select features to include.

Chime, I was intrigued by your suggestion regarding a limited form of
sub-select on the teleconference, but admit that I couldn't immediately
see what that would look like. Do you have a concrete proposal for how
this might work? (just a sketch would be helpful!)

thanks,
Lee