Editing wiki pages outside the Web browser

From: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:46:32 -0500
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
I'm hopeful that the entire working group will actively help grow and
maintain the group's wiki to document the progress and the collective
wisdom of the group.

Since I find editing the pages one at a time in a Web browser somewhat
tedious, I thought I'd share a pointer to mvs, a CVS-like command line
Perl tool that I use to create and edit mediawiki pages.

The short of it is that I do:

 > vim New_Page.wiki
 > [create New Page's contents]
 > mvs update New_Page.wiki
 > mvs commit -m 'initial edits' New_Page.wiki

to create the page [[New Page]] on the wiki. Or

 > mvs update UseCase^Existing.wiki
 > [edit UseCase^Existing.wiki]
 > mvs commit -m 'added implementation details' UseCase^Existing.wiki

to edit the page UseCase:Existing.wiki. (Because my operating system is
unhappy with colons in filenames, I hacked mvs to do a translation back
and forth for '^' to ':'.)

Check it out here:

http://search.cpan.org/~markj/WWW-Mediawiki-Client/bin/mvs

I've made a number of local edits to my copy for things like handling
namespaces (as above) and handling authentication domains, so drop me a
note if you are interested in more detailed help getting mvs setup.

Lee