Re: Potential text for time-permitting features in F&R

Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> My comments for the F&R document are below (per my ACTION)
>
> This is probably a nit pick, but section 2.3.2 Description probably could be
> re-written to give better context regarding checking for the absence of a
> binding in contrast to 'classical' (open-world) negation:
>
> ..  can require the checking of whether certain triples (or terms) do or
> don't exist in the graph. Checking for the absence of triples is a form of
> negation called Negation by failure (or default negation).  Such an
> interpretation of negation is in contrast to one that is based on there
> being a logical derivation (the open-world assumption) and is the approach
> traditionally used by database systems.

I'm pretty indifferent on this - I'm guessing that it's not enough to
hold up FPWD decision for anyone, so please let me know if I'm guessing
wrong. :)

> 4 Update
>
> The Working Group has resolved to specify a SPARQL/Update language, but may
> also pursue a HTTP based graph update via the protocol. This issue is
> orthogonal to the SPARQL/Update language. Whether or not there will be a
> concrete mapping between SPARQL/Update and HTTP based graph update is
> currently under discussion in the working group.
>
> I'm not sure if this section in red is not subject to comment (because it
> came from a resolution for instance), but I suggest the following
> re-wording:
>
> .. may also pursue a native HTTP protocol abstraction for updates to an RDF
> dataset.

It doesn't come straight from the resolution. The two resolutions were
(after some amount of careful word choice during the telecon):

* SPARQL WG will pursue a full-featured, multi-graph update language
* SPARQL WG will pursue RESTful operations for updating RDF stores

It might be best to use the text from the resolutions verbatim.

Lee