Re: Potential text for time-permitting features in F&R

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:47:45 +0200
To: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
CC: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@ccf.org>, Birte Glimm <birte.glimm@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

> </chair>
> (now getting even "more time"-permitting) on a more fine-grained level,
> in fact, it might be useful to:
>
> 1) define our own dialect  which can be more restricted or extend RIF
> Core in parts; e.g. a dialect that could handle full SPARQL patterns in
> rule bodies (which current RIF can't because not all FILTER functions
> are covered), that could be done by an additional SPARQL-built-in function.
>
> 2) present an easier to read presentation syntax for RIF which is
> aligned with SPARQL's syntax, at least for examples. This would be
> fairly simple and very useful for promoting RIF in the SPARQL cummunity.
> <chair>

Hm. Two comments with my different hats:-)

- Activity lead hat on, staff contact hat down: This is interesting,
important, and even necessary work in my view. It should be done at some
point (I already had this discussion with Sandro) because I am not sure
we have a good story from RIF to really do RDF+Rules. And that is bad in
my view.

- Activity lead hat down, staff contact hat on: This is probably out of
scope for this Working Group and probably something time will not permit:-(

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153