Re: Lee's feature proposal

On 1 May 2009, at 09:14, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> It is not clear to me (lack of my technical knowledge!) whether
>> Bijan's
>> SPARQL/OWL proposal covers both semantics of OWL or not. OWL DL is,
>> in
>> many respect, a loose sub thing to OWL Full, so it might, but we
>> have to
>> be very explicit (at charter time, too!). So it would be good to
>> put my
>> mind at ease:-) How would we handle the others like RDFS?
>
> RDFS style semantics is somewhat easier to specify since all
> syntactic categories are reflected as individuals. Thus, "normal"
> binding works without difficulty. For the DL fragment, the key issue
> was how to handle nominally higher order variables (e.g., variables
> that range over classes). This is what SPARQL-DL solved.

That's reassuring, and matches my experiences.

> I'm happy to do the whole stack. The work Jos (among others) has
> done in RIF points the way pretty clearly there.
>
>> I presume service descriptions play an important role here.
>
> I don't see why.

Not speaking for Ivan, but in my opinion they are important so a
client can know what entailment regime the endpoint it is querying is
operating under. Further it may be possible to have two endpoints that
reflect one store, both with and without inference (for example). The
service description could relate these two endpoints with some
appropriate statements.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD