Re: A review of rdf:text from a SPARQL perspective (1st draft)

Sorry, I originally sent this to Andy directly, rather than to the
list, by mistake. It comprises my comments on the rdf:text document.

On 22 Apr 2009, at 17:20, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> == Overview
>
> There are some SPARQL-specific issues that arise that are not
> addressed in the document.  The rdf:text only refers to "graph
> exchange" when saying that rdf:text must not appear in RDF graphs
> serializations but that does not apply to SPARQL directly.
>
> Because rdf:text document says nothing about SPARQL operations and
> it's not clear to me whether changes to existing SPARQL queries are
> being assumed.  At one time, they were.

My reading of section 4 is that it would change SPARQL query results
for processors that implement rdf:text, and not for ones that don't.
That seems like a barrier to interoperability.

> Note: In RDF, a literal has either a language tag or a datatype but
> not both. rdf:text changes this assumption so deployed code or
> SPARQL implementations that rely on this invariant may break.

That is a big concern for me, and would cause significant back-
compatibility issues.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD