Re: [Fwd: Unexpected DISTINCT?]

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> In SQL, SELECT has two parameters, ALL and DISTINCT with ALL being
> implicit.
>
> One way to handle the sort of variability in result set desired here
> is to make ALL *not* be implicit, but have the bare SELECT mean
> something like "something between ALL and DISTINCT depending on the
> implementation".
>
> SQL defaults to ALL because, I think, of the strong perception that
> it is "always" cheaper (which in fact depends on the relative cost of
> pruning dups and transmitting them). Making the default "whatever the
> implementation thinks is cheapest" seems in the spirit of this and
> ALL allows access to the max sane result set (plus, implementations
> can chose not to support it...it can be tricky in OWL since you'd
> have to get all derivations...not impossible but non-trivial).
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

The cardinality for extensions of BGP matching isn't prescribed by the spec -
it's just a matter of an extension deciding what is appropriate for it's
extension.

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/rq25.html#sparqlBGPExtend

which does not include anything on cardinality induced from blank nodes in
BGPs.  Hopefully, that should give freedom to extended matchings such as OWL-DL.

	Andy