Re: issues in rq25

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> * Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> [2007-01-23 13:44+0100]
>> I am happy to be working with Andy's new draft, rq25. I've done an
>> editing pass through the end of chapter 7. I have put my
>> characteristic pink issue hilighter on a few points which I am
>> describing here.
>>

>> 4.1.4 Syntax for Blank Nodes
>>
>>   Blank nodes in query patterns act as *existential* variables.
>>
>> I thought they acted as regular variables, i.e. one gets solutions for
>> each way the bnode could match a different term in the graph.
>> [TST] (below) tests this.
>>
>>   The scope of the label is the basic graph pattern; if the same label
>>   is used in another basic graph pattern graph pattern, it is not the
>>   same blank node.
>>
>> Is there really (still? again?) no correlation in the _:who variables
>> in this query?

>>   [ foaf:nick "ericP";
>>     foaf:mboxMD5 "A2BA23432B434443D45DF655A6C6E6E" ].
>>   [ foaf:name "Bob Smith";
>>     foaf:mbox <mailto:bob@example.com> ].
>>
>> Query:
>>   SELECT ?nick ?mbox
>>    WHERE { _:who foaf:mboxMD5 "A2BA23432B434443D45DF655A6C6E6E";
>>      foaf:nick ?nick
>>     OPTIONAL { _:who foaf:mbox ?mbox } }
>>
>> Results:
>>   ?name  ?mbox
>>   ericP  <mailto:bob@example.com>
>
> Andy proposed in the meeting to make this misleading query (in that it
> associates ericP's name with Bob Smith's mbox) illegal by prohibiting
> the re-use of BNodes between different BGPs. The cost is to the person
> who does a SELECT * and then limits their returned fields by
> judiciously using BNodes for the fields they don't want to see. Not a
> big cost.

Minor correction: no reuse of *bNode labels*

At the moment, bNode labels are scoped to the BGP so those 2 bnode labels
_:who, are the same label, but, becaus ethey are in different BGPs, they
become different bNodes as things stand.

That's the confusion that may arise that disallowing reuse catches.