  • From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:09:08 -0600
  • Subject: Re: an extension to SPARQL
  • To: Faisal.Alkhateeb@inrialpes.fr
  • Cc: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org, Jerome Euzenat <Jerome.Euzenat@inrialpes.fr>, Jean-François Baget <jean-francois.baget@inrialpes.fr>
On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 16:41 +0100, Faisal.Alkhateeb@inrialpes.fr wrote:

> Dear members of the DAWG,
>
> First, I would like to wish you a happy new year 2007.

Likewise.

> Over the last few months, we did some investigation on an extension to
> SPARQL (i.e., SPARQL + regular expressions in the predicate position of
> the graph patterns).

Interesting.

It looks closely related to the WG discussion of issue
accessingCollections:

"Support for collections/containers? or trees? or path regular
expressions?"
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#accessingCollections

In Feb 2005, the WG...

"RESOLVED: to postpone accessingCollections because
      * our not standardizing it doesn't stop anybody from playing
      * none of the extant designs seems sufficiently mature"

We do get comments on the idea from time to time. From the issues
list, you can see that one comment in Nov 2005 provoked Andy Seaborne
to do just a bit of design noodling, but not enough to re-open
the issue.

Your paper provides new information with respect to whether
the extant designs are sufficiently mature. I'll see that
it gets linked from the issues list.

> The results are written down in the following paper which we
> hope contains some useful results:
>
> http://barbara.inrialpes.fr/exmo/people/alkhateeb/papers/PSPARQL.pdf
>
> We are also interested to provide an implementation to this extension in
> Java, so you can find in the following site an applet that, which presents
> what we did until now in the implementation and in the experiments of this
> experiments, you can test it in the fragement implemented until now:
>
> http://psparql.inrialpes.fr/
>
> The work is continue in developing this extension, so feel free to send
> any comments if for example there are bugs, etc.
>

> Best regards,

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E