Re: Status of the SPARQL algebra

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:21:17 -0600
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Cc: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

>On 20 Nov 2006, at 17:01, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>

>>Kendall Clark wrote:
>>
>>>  Comments:
>>>
>>>  1. Numbering the sections and subsections will make it easier to
>>>  refer to (yes, I know this makes moving it into rq24 a matter of some
>>>  duplication...)
>>
>>Worse than that - they keep changing!  I reordered most of the doc today.

>>>FWIW, on F'fox 2.0 on Mac, this looks fine.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I have only included what I found to be absolutely
>>safe (Greek characters).  There are more Unicode characters I'd
>>like to use but not all browsers display things correctly.   FF is
>>better than IE (6 and 7) but is hardly complete (why this isn't an
>>OS font issue, I don't know).  But there are more symbols again
>>that would be good that aren't even in Unicode.
>
>Are you thinking of using the join symbols from relational algebra?
>I think it's better as it is, but you could use the ASCII
>renderings: "[X]" and "=X]".

Blech. Worst of both worlds.

>Rho and sigma must be present in unicode. Though, again, I think
>it's clearer to write it out.

I agree. Mathspeak involving uppercase Greek is compact and neat once
you are used to it, but it takes some getting used to. And unless it
is really well typeset - an art beyond even the best web browsers,
until HTML turns into LATEX - it's hard on the eyes. And none of this
stuff is really math-heavy.

Pat

>- Steve

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell