Re: Fixing BGP matching

Fred Zemke wrote:
> I believe my message
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006OctDec/0135.html
> is supportive of Andy's option 2 below.

That's good to know. 2 or 3 seemed to match that message.

> However, I think that Andy is misquoting Perez et.al "Semantics of SPARQL".
> As I read that paper, it says that a BGP with a blank node identifier
> can have a solution with cardinality greater than 1.  That is, Perez et.al.
> treat blank nodes as variables, as in Andy's option 1.

Your right - I jumped to making theta / b() non-counting i.e. a pure
existential reading with card(u) = 1, not card(u) = card(b) as in your message.

> As Andy suggests, I think that we want to provide a growth path
> so that SPARQL can be used with general entailment regimes for BGP matching.
> My understanding of entailment is that the cardinality of a solution
> to a BGP must be 1.  However, I want the entailment experts on the
> committee to weigh in on this issue.

I'd like the entailment experts opinions as well.

As far as I can see, if
+ we don't have a strong upgrade path, using only the necessary but not
sufficient condition on other entailment regimes,
+ we use option 2 (explicit bnode mapping)

then we can choose as to whether blank nodes in queries can reveal a count of
not.  It is as if they also reveal the reasons for their existential assertion
given the data available.  Implementation-wise it might be easier to have them
treated that way and it accords with the (slack?) usage in queries as unnamed
variables.

In other words, if we choose 2 as the basis of BGP matching for simple
entailment, we could choose any of:

1/ bnodes in queries mean card(u) = 1
2/ bnodes in queries mean card(u) = card(b)
3/ Undefined: but presumably between 1 and card(b).

 Andy