Re: Expressions in SELECT

Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> Andy Seaborne wrote on 10/17/2006 01:45:17 PM:
>
>> Fred,
>>
>> The design message I metioned was:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006AprJun/0145
>>
>> An explicit assigment might be the best long term approach if it is also
>> available in the main part of the query, otherwise a syntax that is
>> specific to the SELECT clause seems more appropriate.  To be compatible
>> with the results format as it stands, there needs to be a variable name
>> - that could change to a more general label - but just positional does
>> not work because the XML results format omits unbound variables, not
>> record them explicitly.
>
> To hopefully help hasten a decision on the punctuationSyntax issue, I
> just wanted to write a note to state that we're (Elias and I -- IBM) in
> favor of keeping the SELECT clause syntax as-is for the current version
> of SPARQL. We're sympathetic to people's desires to allow expressions in
> the SELECT list, but are also confident (in part thanks to Andy's
> message referenced above) that keeping the current comma-less design
> will not prohibit expressions in the SELECT list in the future.

Hooking up to this, I briefly talked this over with colleagues and
although we favor the comma-design in principle (that is, had we started
from scratch), we can certainly live with the current design and are
likewise confident that it does not prohibit expressions/functions in
the SELECT list.

Jeen
--
Aduna - Guided Exploration