Re: my action item

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:55:08PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>>

>> Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

>>> I found it more intuitive to use the XPath tests directly. Proposal below.
>> I'm not sure what your position is with respect to points 1-4.  Is the
>> proposal below about how to express the use of F&O tests for
>> sop:value-compare for the known datatypes or is that text the only mapping
>> from grammar items to F&O?
>
> Let's see, what is our critical requirement:
>    monotonic WRT (returned) solutions
>
> => no query string has a naive interpretation that yields a non-error
>    value and a clever interpretation that yields a different value.
>
> => no operator can be mapped to two operator functions, depending on
>    the implementation, where the naive implementation yields a
>    non-error and the clever implementation yields a different value.
>
> eg. "'II'^^roman:numeral = 2" must yield an error in the naive
>    implementation (or it could yeild false (unequal strings), but
>    *every* implementation would have to yield a false).
>
> I don't see how sop:value-compare helps us. We really need the
> distinction in the query string, so that the same query can not be
> interpreted two ways.

value-compare('II'^^roman:numeral, 2) is error or EQ, meeting the first point
above (using value-compare(A,B) to return one of error, LT, GT, NE, EQ)

Every operator maps to value-compare(A,B)

= and != are always value-testing for literals.
They are

We should retain the current table for mapping for the XSD datatypes mentioned
because that covers the most common cases for users and for implementers.

> We could still handle the syntactic distinction separately and use
> this intermediate value-compare, but it seems easier for us and for
> consumers of the spec to map directly to F&O tests. For instance, each
> F&O test has a defined boolean result which means we don't have to
> invent a sop:value-compare return value that signifies != without
> indicating less than or greater than.
>
>> If it's the latter, the proposal is as before isn't it? - introduce
>> "sameLiteral" and reserve the syntax of infix operators for a fixed set of
>> datatypes?  Including "="?
>
> Exactly, though now I'm thinking that sameNode is more appropriate
> (explained below).

sameNode is a better name (it's definition is the same as RDFTermEquals).

>> More below.

I think we covered the rest in the telecon.  If not, prompt me.

 From the telecon:

The table we had was:

          |    IRI   |   bNode  |  Literal
         -------------------------------
IRI      |  T or F  |    F     |    F
bNode    |    F     |  T or F  |    F
Literal  |    F     |    F     | E, T or F

literal/literal is a value comparison.

There is a function sameNode(A,B).  It is used to implement "=" and "!=" for
IRI/IRI and bNode/bNode in the table above.  It is also callable as a function
on literals where it is a syntactic test.

Fred suggested an isError(expression) operator that return T is the expression
evaluates to an error, and is false otherwise.  This is to facilitate data
validating applications.

	Andy