Re: ORDER BY allows expression, SELECT does not

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:26:30 -0600
To: "souripriya.das@oracle.com" <souripriya.das@oracle.com>
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 19:54 -0500, souripriya.das@oracle.com wrote:
> This has been raised by people and acknowledged in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2006Jan/0075.html.
> I was wondering what the reasoning was behind this.

I don't think the asymmetry is a conscious design choice.

As I recall, SELECT was designed early on, and ORDER BY
came later. We don't have any requirements for expressions
in select, and aside from the occasional thinking-out-loud
here or there, none of the WG discussions have argued
for a change, so it hasn't been changed.

> Thanks,
> - Souri.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E