Re: Editorial changes in Section 2.5

From: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:46:58 +0100
Cc: andy.seaborne@hp.com, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
On 13 Feb 2006, at 22:12, Pat Hayes wrote:
> --------
> Definition: E-entailment Regime
>
> An E-entailment regime is a relation between a subset of RDF graphs
> and a subset of basic graph patterns.
>
> A basic graph pattern in the range of an E-entailment is called
> well- formed for the E-entailment.
> --------
>
> Was this in version 1.623 when we took the vote?? If so, I
> apologize for not noticing it at the time, but this is broken.
> Entailment is a relationship between graphs, because *by
> definition* it refers to truth of the graph in an interpretation.
> Patterns don't have truthvalues in interpretations. So what it
> should say is that an E-entailment regime is a relation between RDF
> graphs, defined on a subset of RDF graphs. The graphs in the subset
> are called well-formed for the entailment regime. (I'd avoid the
> use of 'range' here, see below.)

You're right.

"""
Definition: E-entailment Regime
An E-entailment regime is a binary relation between subsets of RDF
graphs.
A graph in the range of an E-entailment is called well-formed for the
E-entailment.
"""

(we need range here since the domain may not be the same as the range
-- e.g., OWL-DL query answering).

--e.