W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-dawg@w3.org > January to March 2006

meeting record of RDF Data Access 24 Jan

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:48:45 -0500
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20060126154845.GA26709@w3.org>
minutes at http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes


   [1]W3C 

                                RDF Data Access

24 Jan 2006

   See also: [2]IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Sven_Groppe, AndyS, jeen, EliasT, EricP, LeeF, Kendall_Clark,
          DanC, PatH, EnricoFranconi, Jos_De_Roo

   Regrets
          libby

   Chair
          DanC

   Scribe
          EricP

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Convene
         2. [5]Toward updated protocol WD (and results format WD)
         3. [6]issues rdfSemantics, owlDisjunction
         4. [7]issues#valueTesting
         5. [8]ftf update
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________________

Convene

   DanC notes [10]major technical: semantics are poorly specified

   RESOLVED to accept [11]minutes 17 Jan

   RESOLVED: to meet again 26 Jan, lee to scribe

Toward updated protocol WD (and results format WD)

   DanC: Activity extended through 1 May, (note [12]wg schedule)

issues rdfSemantics, owlDisjunction

   DanC: extension message cited in the histroy section

   -> [13]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/#hist histroy section

   <DanC> PROPOSED: that [14]editor's draft of SPARQL QL editor's draft
   v1.613 2006/01/23 13:13:08 addresses issue rdfSemantics and is
   sufficient to postpone issue owlDisjunction.

   <DanC> EF: 2nd

   Enrico: agreed

   <LeeF> There are still a bunch of @@'s in the current draft.

   <LeeF> (Well, maybe not a bunch, but some.)

   PatH: has options. needs editorial completion

   AndyS: two proposals on how to frame extensions in a separate document
   ... 1. set of hooks

   AndyS: 2. extension document gives relations back to the core (SPARQL
   Query) document
   ... pref to keep as much in the extension document as possible

   PatH: my [15]second issue (mail sent last night): definition of graph
   pattern

   Enrico: PatH's proposal doesn't close the RDFS and OWL entailment
   ... extensions have to *contradict* the standard

   <patH> Enrico is wrong about that. For OWL we do need to adjust
   things.

   Enrico: introducing simple entailment gives you upward compatibility
   problems

   PatH: we can fix the wording to address this in the current text

   <DanC> (musts and shoulds are for protocols)

   Enrico: why not just have subgraph matching in the core document?

   <kendallclark> I just don't believe shutting off discussion *in this
   way* is especially helpful or fair or even polite. My two cents.

   Enrico: are we agreeing that we have a normative general definition?

   PatH: should the SPARQL spec place normative constraints on how logic
   extension behave?
   ... I think we can take your point under advisement and satisfy your
   request

   <patH> the current text has the general defintion as normative. We
   just said this is acceptable, up to editorail changes. Edirtorial
   changes do not change normativity , so :-)

   <patH> That was adresed to Enrico.

around the table...

   EliasT: abstain

   Enrico: Will we keep the definition of ordered merge and scoping set,
   ... all of section 2.5

   Jeen: don't know -- abstain

   Sven: i think that ordered merge definition is not formal enough

   Sven: it's currently semiformal

   KendallC: we're generally happy with that section

   DanC: don't find ordered merge (seems complex) appealing, but if it
   describes peoples code, am reluctanly happy with it

   PatH: don't think we need ordered merge. rest are fine

   ericP: would like someone to write an extension document and see if it
   contradicts the spec. happy either way. more confident if the
   extension is attempted

   LeeF: happier if we don't need ordered merge and e-entailment in the
   core spec, but if we need that for upwards compatibile, i'm happy

   JosD: Disagree because it does not say that blank nodes in a graph
   pattern are variables

   AndyS: current inclination is to not use ordered merge and use the
   @@** text
   ... the ordered merge is not how implementations do it

   <DanC> (it's not a priority for me that the formal definitions match
   implementation techniques)

   AndyS: we've rushed through how SPARQL is extended. concentrating on
   simple entailment with as much latitude as is reasonable

   <EnricoFranconi> implementations do subgraph matching, not ordered
   merge

   <EnricoFranconi> ordered merge is useful only for upward compatibility

   ACTION: PatH revise Enrico's "Proposed changes" on matching and
   entailment for solution sequences, esp w.r.t. RDFmerge/order. seems
   done; there has certainly been lots of relevant mail [DONE] [recorded
   in [16]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   <DanC> proposal to edit readme
   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/014
   5.html

   ACTION: Enrico to review draft text on matching and entailment for
   solution sequences seems done; there has certainly been lots of
   relevant mail [DONE] [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   ACTION: AndyS to implement test README change from
   [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/014
   5.html [recorded in [20]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   ACTION: JosD to make test case from Sergio's basic query patterns
   examples [DONE] [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   [22]Jos's mail outlining tests

   DanC: AndyS, what would the disposition of these tests be with would
   your favorite definitions?

   AndyS: yes to 1. requires new text in the test cases doc.

   PatH: current definitions break the second answer

   ACTION: JosD to put
   [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/004
   0 into a test manifest [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   <LeeF> The 3rd solution breaks some of the coreferentiality of _:a_0

   ACTION: AndyS to revise rq23 to remove @@s from 2.5 [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

issues#valueTesting

   [26]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#FunctionMapping

   [27]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#evaluation

   <DanC> "Casting in SPARQL is performed by calling a constructor
   function for the target type on an operand of the source type."

   [28]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#operandDataTypes

   <DanC> PROPOPSED: that [29]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/
   1.613 section 11 addresses issues#valueTesting

   <DanC> (looking for comments pending on this issue...
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#valueTesting )

   <Zakim> DanC, you wanted to ask about Levering's question
   [31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2005S
   ep/0011

   <DanC> PatH: note equivilence typo

   DanC: can you address Ryan Levering'S comment?

   EricP: yes, current text addresses them

   RESOLVED: that [32]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/ 1.613
   section 11 addresses issues#valueTesting, UMD abstaining

ftf update

   [33]quick sketch of TP f2f agenda, [34]registration

   <AndyS> F2F: 2/3 March at Cannes (W3C all groups meetng)

   <AndyS> Agenda covers: LC issues + features to postpone + SPARQL v2

   <AndyS> Also meeting #SWIG (Thurs) and RIF (MoTu), SWBPD?

   <AndyS> SWBPD maybe Friday

   <Zakim> DanC, you wanted to ask in stongest possible terms that we
   finish LC comments well before the TP

   <AndyS> DanC suggests strongly not having LC issues on agenda

   <kendallclark> I would love to come to Cannes again... but I didn't
   know we were meeting and I declined the trip when my boss asked. :)

   <kendallclark> oh well

   <AndyS> we conclude registration is open (for all meetings at
   AllGroups)

   <DanC> (to repeat: I'm more likely to be at the IG meeting than at
   DAWG)

   <patH> I very much doubt I will be able to make it, but could phone in
   to any discussions if its worth trying.

   ADJOURNED

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: AndyS to implement test README change from
   [35]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/014
   5.html [recorded in [36]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]
   [NEW] ACTION: AndyS to revise rq23 to remove @@s from 2.5 [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]
   [NEW] ACTION: JosD to put
   [38]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/004
   0 into a test manifest [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   [DONE] ACTION: Enrico to review draft text on matching and entailment
   for solution sequences seems done; there has certainly been lots of
   relevant mail [recorded in [40]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]
   [DONE] ACTION: JosD to make test case from Sergio's basic query
   patterns examples [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]
   [DONE] ACTION: PatH revise Enrico's "Proposed changes" on matching and
   entailment for solution sequences, esp w.r.t. RDFmerge/order. seems
   done; there has certainly been lots of relevant mail [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc]

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [43]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([44]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/01/26 15:45:10 $

References

   1. http://www.w3.org/
   2. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
   3. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#agenda
   4. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#item01
   5. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#item02
   6. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#item03
   7. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#item04
   8. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#item05
   9. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-minutes#ActionSummary
  10. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2006Jan/0063
  11. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/att-0138/17-dawg-minutes-edited.htm
  12. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/#sched
  13. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/#hist
  14. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/
  15. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0246
  16. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  17. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0145.html
  18. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  19. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0145.html
  20. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  21. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  22. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0040.html
  23. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0040
  24. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  25. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  26. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#FunctionMapping
  27. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#evaluation
  28. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#operandDataTypes
  29. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/
  30. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#valueTesting
  31. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2005Sep/0011
  32. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/
  33. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/thread#msg151
  34. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TP2006/
  35. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0145.html
  36. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  37. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  38. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2006JanMar/0040
  39. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  40. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  41. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  42. http://www.w3.org/2006/01/24-dawg-irc
  43. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
  44. http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

-- 
-eric

office: +81.466.49.1170 W3C, Keio Research Institute at SFC,
                        Shonan Fujisawa Campus, Keio University,
                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
        +1.617.258.5741 NE43-344, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02144 USA
cell:   +81.90.6533.3882

(eric@w3.org)
Feel free to forward this message to any list for any purpose other than
email address distribution.

Received on Thursday, 26 January 2006 15:48:55 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 16:15:25 GMT