Re: Final text for Basic Graph Patterns

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:59:42 -0600
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

>It is also true that the current state of the deployed art, suitable
>for standardization, is conjunctive abox query alone. There there is
>a wealth of theory (see ian's and sergio's and enrico's (and
>others') papers), several reasonably optimized implementations
>(Racer, Pellet, KAON2, with Racer and KAON2 being commercial...I
>guess Cerebra also does conjunctive abox query, and it is, of
>course, commercial, but I'm not very familiar for it).  Oh, various
>subsets of OWL DL (e.g., DL Lite) also fit this model. It would be
>nice to standards this level so that we can get interoperability
>between the 4 query implementation. (I imagine FaCT++ will have
>something soon).

I'm happy with that as sufficient justification for focussing on this
case, but lets not call it 'OWL-DL', but something like OWL-Abox.
Clearly, this case is not obtained just by doing "simple"//"OWL-DL"
in the SPARQL definitions, with any wording of those definitions, so
there is still some work to do or at least to check. I don't trust
myself to be the judge for exactly how to couch the definitions to
describe this case accurately. Can you do that?

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell