Re: bnodeification

From: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:35:50 +0100
Cc: tessaris <tessaris@inf.unibz.it>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>, souripriya.das@oracle.com, public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>

Hi Pat,
Sergio will send shortly a deep explanation on the list.
We don't like your solution (a) because it does not work with any
ontology language above RDFS that has implicit existentials (like OWL-
Lite and above, DLP, or any fragment of FOL with existential
quantification), and (b) because the introduction of the scoping
graph breaks the subsequent algebra when multiple basic graph
patterns are involved (e.g., UNION). BTW, we already found and
discarded a similar solution long time ago :-)

cheers
--e.